Tuesday, July 19, 2016

And the Countdown Continues

We have 25 days in counting until our White Coat Ceremony and what am I doing for the occasion?  Currently, I am studying.  Hahaha.  I have been trying to enjoy myself and study at the same time.  One could say that's not hard at all but it can be.  I want to say I did something while I lived here ya know.  So what have I done in the past week?

Thursday, I went to dinner with some lovely friends and we enjoyed Japanese cuisine for dinner.  I will also remind people that anywhere you go out to eat in Anguilla is usually at least $20 for one person to eat.  This time, I was happy to report it was a lot of food and I left full which is unusual.  This was called the Bento Box. I won't give any names of the restaurant but one could figure them out once they get here.  But this place had very good food.  It may have earned a spot to stop by at when my family gets here.

Friday, I was very studious and stayed at school to "study."  I was practicing questions for my upcoming pathology exam this week.  Yes,  I study that far in advance.  I have to make my audience, family and friends proud of me!
Saturday morning I decided to have breakfast out.  Why?  I don't know. Maybe to make myself feel better.  I will say this bagel with egg and cheese made me feel a lot better.  I usually get a slice of lemon cake to go with it because it is so moist and delicious as well.  And this restaurant is also easy to guess.  I think others would enjoy their prices as well because they are more affordable maybe because it's breakfast.  And of course, afterwards, I went to school to study my life away.

 Late Saturday night, I decided that I would wake up on Sunday to watch the sunrise.  Yea, I guess I rolled over when I heard my alarm go off at 4:30.  The sun rises here at about 5:45 but I wanted to be really early so I knew I would catch it. But either way, I woke up at 6 am mad at myself but I still wanted a little bit of adventure before I started my weekly chore of meal prepping for the week.  So I decided to drive over to Island Harbor which is about 20 minutes from my apartment and enjoy a croissant from my favorite bakery.  I actually have a picture of their croissants in one of my first post from the island before the ant infestation that I had.  Let's just say, I ate the croissant and then realized that I had no proof for the world to see that I had them.  I would just give you the menu and the schedule so that it is made known of the times that they are open.  While I was over that way, I decided to take a few pictures of the boats and scenery.  I would say it's beautiful.
Island Harbor, Anguilla


And then on Monday, I learned how to perform a pelvic exam for females and conduct a male exam.  Let's just say it was an interesting morning learning about catheter placement, pap smears and checking for inguinal hernias.  This day was very special being that it was our last lab session for the semester because next block is full of Carnival.  It's that time of year again in case you forgot.  Maybe this time I will go observe some things and take a few pictures as well.

My first pap smear with a manikin
And last but not least, today, Tuesday.  We now have 25 days until we receive our precious white coats.  And I will say that the feeling is becoming bitter sweet.  We finished class early so my friends and I decided to go and eat at another restaurant.  Did I mention that we were trying to experience as much as possible before we leave?  This restaurant is pretty affordable.  Most of the dishes are less than $15 and it happens to be close to school.  The only downfall is there isn't a view and they are slow.  But that is anywhere on the island honestly.  I think it is just that the sense of urgency that we have in the US isn't here which is a good thing.  Gives a more relaxed feeling.

Well that's my story of this weekend.  Next week, I will try to update you guys on my adventures of the weekend because I only have 3 weekends left before I am officially finished with the island.

I would also add that my brother is doing well.  He is still receiving treatment in the rehab facility.  He is supposed to be getting moved to long term care facility soon but a facility hasn't been chosen as of yet.  If he goes to a long term care facility, he most likely won't receive the rehab that he receives now so I set up a Go Fund Me page to raise money for that.  If you would like to donate or share the fundraiser, it would be greatly appreciated.  The link is here RC's Go Fund Me.

I also forgot to mention that James and I were kind of featured in the newspaper the Anguillian for teaching the CPR course for the community members.  You can view that article here.

The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
-Lamentations 3:25, KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment