Tuesday, July 12, 2016

So Close I Can Smell the USA

Hello again.  The journey is going nice and swell.  I have been studying a bunch as usual.  I am starting to get excited about returning home to my family but I am also trying to get my last bit of experience of the island as well.  Before I am released to go study for USMLE Step 1, I have these last exams to pass and receive my white coat.  It's only 32 days away but who is really counting.

As a small update, my brother is doing well.  His recovery is very slow but progressing.  All prayers are welcomed in his recovery and we (his family) greatly appreciates it.  In case you missed it, he suffered from a traumatic brain injury after being involved in a motorcycle accident on May 19, 2016.  He had diffuse swelling throughout the brain but mostly in the area of the basal ganglia.  He is currently in rehab for his injuries.

So what has been going on with me?  I have been trying many different restaurants to decide where to take family when they get to the island.  I also have been attempting to sell my car which I have not been successful at.  I don't understand how I am a good saleswoman for bartending but not a good car saleswoman.  That story is for another time.

 I would also like to add that in addition to the Anguilla CPR project that James and I founded, taught a lovely group of women Heartsaver CPR about two weeks ago.  We taught about 20 women and had an additional instructor from another class and were very proud to have accomplished the goal of the project before we left.  It was a very rewarding feeling and experience.

It was also a pleasure to be apart of the first ever ACLS class to be held on campus.  It was nice to combine 3 of our basic science classes into a certification as well.  Seven other students besides me were certified in skills.  We actually did well being that we were never experienced to a situation as such before.  I will link a video soon after the second class completes their certification.

Also in the last few weeks, the school hosted a health fair where locals can come to school and be screened for diseases and students can practice basic skills.  It was very fun to get the opportunity to use some of the skills I learned.  Because I am involved in a research study involving glaucoma prevalance for Anguillians, I was able to use various opthamalogy equipment to briefly check eyes without dilating them.  I would say that I am very good at utilizing the panopthamalscope and would love it if someone would like to gift it for graduating but I am not going to dwell on it.

Some friends and I did go out to this restaurant that is notorious for having celebrities but of course we didn't see anyone when we went.  The following week, some people met Charlamagne Tha God, a radio personality and I noticed on social media that Tia Mowry was also here.  Seems as if they come to not be bothered huh?  Plus it helps that Anguillians don't care about fame so it would be easy to come here and have an actual vacation.

We have a calendar on the board and the amount of things we have to complete before we leave is becoming endless.  I haven't discussed the classes for this semester.  Well most of our classes consist of pathology.  Hehehe.  Just kidding.  Our classes this semester include Physical Diagnosis, Pathology II, Epidemiology, Clinical Correlations of Basic Sciences IV and Research in Health and Medicine III.  Physical Diagnosis is interesting because we now have to learn how to regurgitate all of the information we have compiled into our brain plus the stuff we also forgot about and learn how to report it to physicians and conduct an assessment to identify the problem in the first place.  I mostly like how it ties everything we've learned together.  The other subjects are self explanatory of what they teach.

I would also mention that our class had a date auction to raise money for our white coat ceremony.  I didn't participate in it but I did bake a cake that lasted about 4 hours.  I still can't believe it was consumed that fast.  I also would like to add that I baked another one for the church bonfire and that was devoured in about 20 minutes.  So I guess if med school doesn't work out, I could be a great baker especially being that I was offered a job at the grocery store here.  Today we got to try on our white coats which put everything into perspective.  It's getting really close to our time being up on the island here!!!

As for the excitement of getting off the island is a constant right now.  I am currently trying to continue experience the island so that I won't say I missed anything while I was here.  But there will always be something I missed.  I would love to ride horses and spend a day riding 4-wheelers around the island but I think I will have to skip that this time unfortunately.  I can say that I will remember my time here and think of it as an awakening to experience something I would've never experienced otherwise.

So to go along with the path ahead, I will keep you posted on the more tortuous activities the faculty decides to put us through before letting us off the island.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
-Psalm 25:4-5, KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment