Monday, May 4, 2015

My Last Day Before School

So today we had orientation at school.  I am so glad that I met one of my classmates at Shoal Bay yesterday.  So let me back up a day.

Yesterday, someone posted in our group about meeting as a class at Shoal Bay so we could all meet each other.  It sounds like a good idea until you really think about it.  People who have never met and don't even know what they look like plan to meet at a beach and talk about our futures?  Yep.  But it actually happened.

Shoal Bay
One of my classmates actually lives down the street from me.  We were planning to walk together but that didn't exactly happen.  She left well before I did and I was walking pretty slow.  I will say that that 3 miles of walking in the heat of the day was probably not the brightest idea I've ever had.  When I got to the beach, a local typed in the WiFi code so that I could message my classmates and talk with my family and show them what I was able to see.  It is beyond beautiful and more than I can take in.  So I started messaging my classmate to discover that I was sitting right behind her.  Get that?  She was very sweet and she wanted to know about our other classmates.  I had met a few already but I didn't know all of them.  But something is better than nothing right?

Turns out that the idea of telling people to meet at the beach did work because it was about 10 of us in all that actually showed.
Me at Shoal Bay
getting some color
 It felt really good to meet some classmates and know that there were some like me.  Some people had taken time off from school, like I have and we have a few that are coming straight from school.  Overall,  I think we had a really good meet and greet.  So about the girl who lives down the street from me, she gave me a ride to orientation the next day.  God is so good!

So orientation.  We arrived on time but of all things to forget, I forgot to bring a pen.  Who does that?  It only looked like there were about 20 students but there were parents and other spectators there so I am unsure.  All of the teachers sat across the front of the room.  I don't know but I was there listening to the Deans speak and asking okay, this is what I really want to do right?  The teachers introduced themselves and then we had a teacher that was a local give some history about the island.  Plus admissions had told us on our last webinar that it would be like some sort of party.  I beg to differ.  We had a guy playing guitar that was the Calypso King.  Calypso is the form of music they play here and I wish I had recorded it but didn't realize it until halfway through.  He was really good and it was a very warm welcome.

We had some upperclassmen show us around the school.  It isn't very big but it is built abnormally to my norm.  I was expecting a single building with air conditioning in the hallways.  Well, the classroom isn't located in an area like that.  All the rooms in this section of the school have doors that go to the outside.  They call our classroom the "dungeon" because it is so dark which doesn't sound like I will like it too much.

So they told us that they were going to have refreshments after the orientation.  I wish I had taken a picture of the gloriousness they had for us.  It really consisted of a bunch of snacks and juices.  Not what I thought it was going to be at all.

I did remember that I had a package delivered to the school that I needed to pick up from the receptionist.  I retrieved it and it just so happened to be my diploma from Walden University for my certificate in Project Management I just obtained and my books for my upcoming program.  It was a nice surprise especially being that my diploma of all things was shipped here instead of my address in the states but oh well.

Lastly, they had a bus tour that was going to show people around the island but being that I didn't know if they were going to drop me off at my house, I opted to ride with the person I came with.  Orientation started at 10 am and I got home around 1 pm if that says anything.  So for the rest of the day, I have just been cleaning my house and trying to fix something to eat.  This apartment is really large but kind of lonely.  I did think that having a 2 bedroom apartment would be fun but it is really not starting to sound like it.  I think I want a roommate but on the other hand, I am kind of embarrassed of this ant problem I have in the kitchen.  I'm going to talk to the landlord to get this cleared up.

Well, the time is here to finally start on this unknown path.  The only wisdom I can conclude for now is:

Just as you cannot understand the path of the wind or the mystery of a tiny baby growing in its mother's womb, so you cannot understand the activity of God, who does all things.
Ecclesiastes 11:5, NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment