Monday, May 4, 2015

My First Week Exploring Anguilla and St. Martin

Well, when I left off last, I was just getting to the island and I had not eaten a complete meal since Friday.  Well on Monday, that all changed.  I finally ate something.  But how?

Mosquito Problem in
St. Martin sign
Well I got on Facebook and communicated with some of my fellow classmates to see who was on the island and their experience thus far.  I came in contact with one of my peers who still had her mom in town.  They came and picked me up so that we could go to Shoal Bay.  I had not seen the beaches in Anguilla yet so I was very excited to go.  The beach was beautiful.  We ate at the restaurant called the Madearimen and they had really good tasting food.  Although we were at the beach, we didn’t swim at the beach.  We concluded the evening by going to the grocery store called Best Buy and swam back at the hotel, the Royal Palms.

The next day, we went to St. Martin to explore the island before her mom had to go back home.  We took the public ferry which cost $20 one way.  One of the first things I happen to see as I stepped off the ferry was a sign about the mosquitoes. 
 It was odd but I went through and had my passport stamped like you’re supposed to.  We shopped around at the vendors on the street and even went inside a pharmacy but didn’t get any bug repellent.

SXM Airport
That night for dinner we went to the infamous beach where you can see the jet blasting fanatics.  During dinner we were able to see a plane land and take off.  After eating, we took a walk on the beach to feel some waves.  And take a few pictures!  It was beautiful.



Before calling it a night, my classmate and I got to know each other a little better by the pool. While sitting at the pool, I was bitten by mosquitoes numerous times and decided then to get a 100% citronella bracelet the next day.  Just knowing each other's goals for attending medical school in the Caribbean made us a little bit closer.  The next day, we needed to return the rental car so we went back to Marigot.  We went to a pharmacy and the first thing I looked at was a 100% citronella bracelet.  While there, we went to a bakery called Sarafina's and they had delicious pastries to choose from.  I tried a chocolate macaroon for the first time in my life and it was absolutely delicious.

After taxing back to the hotel, we called it a night by taking a swim at the pool.  The next morning we wished her mother well on her flight back to the United States.  We got up later on and taxied back to the ferry to come back "home" to Anguilla.  We taxied back to our apartments and went with some other students to Shoal Bay.  After this fun filled day, I slept wonderfully.
Ferry to Anguilla

For the rest of the week, I chatted with students in the Facebook group that we made and waited until orientation on Monday.  While chatting, I went to Shoal Bay a last time the day before orientation.  I think my skin has transitioned about five shades darker.  I am just ready to start my journey already!!!

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
-Ephesians 4:2, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment