Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My First Day of Medical School

So, let's just say that today was absolutely CRAZY!  Ummm, so first of all, I am asking the question, "what in the hell have I gotten myself into?"  According to a friend in his second semester of medical school in the states, this is normal.  So at this point, I don't know what normal is.  It's only my first day, right?

Well, today I had 4 classes.  A way to say welcome to medical school right?  I know. You don't have to tell me.  We started classes promptly at 8 am.  We started the day with Anatomy.  I can tell already that I am not going to be very fond of this class.  From what I've heard from many upper classmen is that it requires a lot of memorization.  At the same time, it would be difficult to memorize EVERYthing in the human body right?  I am just going to take this class one day at a time and see where it gets me.

My next class at 10 am was histology.  Well, it seems our teacher took it kind of easy on us today because we were talking about cell biology which is mostly what I learned in my advanced course in undergrad.  I know it will get harder than this but it was a nice relief after Anatomy for certain.  Plus today we didn't even touch the PowerPoint our teacher prepared.  We went over "Chatology."  Yes, we literally talked for about an hour and our teacher let us go.  I'm glad he gave us a "break" but we still had the rest of the day to go.

So before the next class began, we had our lunch time.  I had brought my lunch from home but I thought that I should try out the food from the food truck behind the school.  I ordered the Curry Chicken and my, my, my, it was delicious!  I cannot complain about it not one bit!  Plus I started making more friends and learning more and more about my classmates.  I only have 25 in my class including myself.  That is a great relief because it won't be hard to find classmates to study with.

So at 1 pm, we had embryology.  I think that should be the only sentence I write although I'm sure you are curious to know what happened.  So, ummm, it was not like I expected.  The teacher came in and went through 35 slides of information that I did NOT expect to learn during my first day of medical school.  It was great to know where babies come from but I didn't expect to learn that fast.  

After embryology, we didn't have any more classes for the day because it was a Tuesday.  Some students went home while others stayed to start studying.  I stayed to start "studying" as well.  Now, I will say that I have never studied for any class or subject in over 3 years and it is difficult trying to figure out how to do that.  So currently I am in the student lounge typing this rather than looking over the information that was gone over in my classes shows just how much I am doing what I am supposed to do in medical school.  

There is a bus for the students that takes them home at 3, 5, and 10 pm on Mondays and Tuesdays which is what I waiting for.  I don't plan on purchasing a car because I don't have the money to do so and I don't think it is a very smart investment.  So wait and study it is.  Maybe I can do this everyday....

Now that the first hurdle is complete (day one), it is on to see what the rest of the semester brings.  Pray for me that this semester doesn't break me like I think it will.

He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.
Luke 17:6, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment