Thursday, September 3, 2015

Second Semester Begins!!!

Excuse my absence but I was attempting to have fun after passing my classes for my first semester.  And yes, I passed!  I can be truly honest and say that there was a moment where I didn’t know if I would or not.  Also, I had a big fiasco with my second landlord causing me to move yet again but this time definitely with someone safe and I know I will be treated with care.

So yesterday was my first day of classes for my second semester and I can already tell my satisfaction that I will have with them.  It is not exactly the most positive feedback.  It feels as if I will have a lot more free time than I had in my first semester however, I do still think I will use it to study a lot again.  This semester, my classes include: Biochemistry, Physiology, Neuroscience, Genetics, CCBS and RHM. They also changed my classroom which affects my norm but I won’t complain although I did see an ant which may add to my dissatisfaction.  Plus I think you all know my feelings about ants at this point (if not, see post First Week of Classes).

So let’s go back to the discussion about my classes.  Biochemistry and Physiology are everyday in the morning and as of now, they don’t seem very challenging but that may be because my undergraduate degree is in chemistry.  But my goal is to stay on top of those subjects this semester primarily because they are every day.  Also, we were told the only class that gives curves is Physiology and my class is a little notorious for getting 20 point curves on a lot of exams last semester.  Neuroscience makes me feel like I am in organic chemistry again because it seems like I will be drawing a lot of pictures and filling in words as I see fit.  We had our introduction to RHM yesterday which is Research in Health and Medicine.  RHM is a course over the span of three semesters in which they expect for you to perform some type of research while in school on this island.  In this portion, we just listen to lecture about important research mechanisms and have a test on that information and we also do a review of literature.  Every semester, we have CCBS or Clinical Correlates of Basic Sciences.  I have no idea of what to expect this time other than presentations that I’ve heard about.

So since I have been away, I went home to Atlanta.  My first meal was Cookout and I ate a really good cheeseburger.  Oh how I missed them so much!  Of all places to not go, I forgot to grab a Frappuccino from Starbucks.  I did bring back some dresses, my lunchbox and two pairs of heels.  I would’ve brought more but there is no real point since I only have one more year.  I hate that I forgot to bring more food back but you give and take.  I was only home for 6 days which does not provide enough time to see all of my family and friends but just enough to give me the push to go through this semester.  I did get to celebrate my mom’s birthday which is always great and we had a blast at dinner that day.

Since I have been back at school, I have learned that I am the event coordinator for Cover 2 Cover which is an organization that rents books to students for the semester.  My position is to find opportunities to fundraise so that we could purchase more books.  I also became a buddy this semester and I have the lovely chance of being a buddy to fellow from Florida.  He seems like a great student already although he tried to freeze me in the study room last night.

Lastly, I began my Walden University courses again which add to my crazy life.  Right now, it sounds like a ridiculous amount of things going on but with classes finishing at 3 pm each day, I think I will be fine overall.  Besides, how can a class called Understanding Students be so difficult?

So I can honestly say, just like the goes I never would’ve made it through last semester without Him!  So thought for the week,
“Cast your burden on the Lord, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.”

-Psalms 55:22, NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment