Thursday, June 4, 2015

New Block, New Day

So I know it has been a while but I got into the groove of school and when I had to time to mess around, I kind of forgot to write on here.  But I promise to do better I promise. I must say that I am handling two schools very well.  Or so I think.

If you recall, I am attending Walden University at the same time attending Saint James School of Medicine.  Yes, I know.  You don't have to tell me.  I know.  It is difficult but a lot easier than you think.  I only work on Walden University work twice a week.  And I am pursuing a Master's in Higher Education so that makes it a lot easier.  I have two other classmates pursuing Master's in Business and another Master's in Healthcare Administration.  Overall, I think my program is the easiest.  Plus it's helpful in paying for my education for St. James.  I will add that the refund that I received from Walden is not enough to cover the cost of tuition which does not even include living expenses.  So still, I will have to apply for the Delta loan so that I can eat and sleep somewhere safe.

Now onto what you really want to know about.  I survived Block 1.  Block is how the school divides the semester and it is the exam period for all of your courses.  I will also add that everyone has them at the same time which is good and bad.  The upperclassmen are the available tutors but being conscious that they are studying for their exams as well as helping you study yours can make you feel more considerate when asking them questions.  I won't share how I did but I will say that I am pleased with my first quarter grades and I think I could of performed better.  It wasn't the greatest start but I know I have a chance of surviving MD 1 if I perform consistently.

I also will share that starting in the summer is an advantage because of the many holidays that we observe.  Already we have had three days off from school because of holidays.  I'm not complaining because the extra study day wasn't a bad thing.

So far, I think that my favorite course is embryology.  It may be a little biased because I do like the human life a lot but it's a great course overall to see how our organs came to be.  I can only say that everything has its specific place and our body was made in its way for a reason.  I can honestly say that I am amazed in all my courses at least once per class.  So generally about 4-5 times daily.

But I think someone would rather know about my study habits.  It makes a lot of sense since I wake up to this everyday.
View of St. Martin from my Porch
Not to brag but it's there.  Every morning.  Beautiful as ever.  I did say when I moved here that I was going to enjoy it as much as I can.  I very much appreciate my view each and every morning.  I will mention that my budget has been blown since I've been here.  For future reference, I'm going to have to do better.  Back to my study habits.  I will also mention that my study habits are going to start changing for this Block because cramming for a week before the exam was just not the right thing to do.  I am actually starting strong by reading through the material before class and it is really helpful.  I also suggest asking for help when you need it because before our review lab the week of blocks, I had no idea what the names of the coronary vessels were until I asked the professor and he showed me one by one on the cadaver.

I also will admit I did call home crying (home sick) last weekend because I had no clue as to why I came down here but this blog is a reminder of what this journey is about.  I will say that when I moved here, I did not rent a car at all.  A lot of students do to get around and maintain their sanity.  I suggest it if you can afford.  Me, however, I don't come from money that allows me to do such a thing.

I also have to mention that for some humor that the bus driver really would like to take me on a date.  Well, that is a great idea and all especially being that I mentioned having a boyfriend before.  But getting on the bus every morning hearing "Good Morning Gorgeous" isn't bad either.


 So far, this journey has been full of happy moments and tears at the same time.  I am praying for better days and study habits.  Tomorrow night, there is a block party at this island called Scilly Cay.  I'm not going simply because a professor said it is pretty expensive to drink there and drinking with people I don't know just doesn't sound very safe as well.  I'm sure that I would rather study and go to a beach on Saturday anyway.  I know I sound like a party pooper but there are plenty of opportunities to do things.

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.
James 1:12, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment